The information below comes from the statement of deficiencies compiled by health inspectors and provided to AHCJ by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. It does not include the steps the hospital plans to take to fix the problem, known as a plan of correction. For that information, you should contact the hospital, your state health department or CMS. Accessing the document may require you to file a Freedom of Information Request. Information on doing so is available here.
|COMMUNITY WESTVIEW HOSPITAL||3630 GUION RD INDIANAPOLIS, IN||Nov. 5, 2012|
|VIOLATION: PATIENT RIGHTS: FREE FROM ABUSE/HARASSMENT||Tag No: A0145|
|**NOTE- TERMS IN BRACKETS HAVE BEEN EDITED TO PROTECT CONFIDENTIALITY**
Based on document review and interview the facility failed to ensure that it followed established policy/procedures for suspected abuse/neglect of patients for 1 inpatient geri-psychatric unit.
1. Review of policy/procedure SPP NO: A-114, Suspected Abuse/Neglect Patients, indicated the following:
"Statement of Purpose: Facility #1 supports and complies with the State of Indiana Code in reporting cases of suspected abuse/neglect of patients.
A. Elder Abuse:
1. Elder abuse is any form of mistreatment that results in harm or loss to an older person.
3. Adult Protective Services can be reached at (800) 992-6978."
This policy/procedure was last reviewed/revised on 10-2011.
2. Review of patient #1's medical record (MR) indicated the patient, a [AGE] year old was admitted to the facility Geriatric Psychiatric inpatient unit on 10-09-12 who had a diagnosis of dementia and was being admitted due to hitting other residents, yelling, screaming and refusing medications.
3. In interview on 11-05-12 at 1040 hours, staff #44 indicated that staff #42 approached him/her on 10-10-12 in the am and indicated that he/she had witnessed possible abuse on the Geri-Psych unit on 10-09-12 between the hours of 1500 to 1900. Staff #42 saw staff #45 was admitting a new patient, patient #1, and said "now that you alls protection is gone, sit the fuck down." Staff #45 took off patient #1's shoes and then continued to assess patient #1 and lifted the patient's leg high and the patient complained of pain. The patient then picked up a shoe and hit staff #45 in the head. Staff #42 was doing something and saw patient #1's head move to the side and asked staff #45 if he/she hit patient #1 with the shoe to the head and staff #45 indicated Yes, I did, she hit me, so I hit her back. The patient then tried biting staff #45 and staff #45 shoved the patient's arm into the patient's mouth and staff #45 stated to the patient if you want to bite someone, bite yourself. Staff #42 indicated he/she saw 2 teeth bite marks on the patient's arm from the patient's mouth. Staff #44 indicated that staff #42 saw staff #43 with patient #2 in the shower room. Staff #43 was trying to make patient #2 stand up by putting the patient's head between his/her legs from the shower chair.
4. On 11-05-12 at 1105 hours, staff #41 confirmed that no one called Adult Protective Services and that staff #43 and 45 are no longer employed at the facility.
5. On 11-05-12 at 1415 hours, staff #49 confirmed that no one called Adult Protective Services.