The information below comes from the statement of deficiencies compiled by health inspectors and provided to AHCJ by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. It does not include the steps the hospital plans to take to fix the problem, known as a plan of correction. For that information, you should contact the hospital, your state health department or CMS. Accessing the document may require you to file a Freedom of Information Request. Information on doing so is available here.
|COMMUNITY WESTVIEW HOSPITAL||3630 GUION RD INDIANAPOLIS, IN||Dec. 30, 2013|
|VIOLATION: INFECTION CONTROL OFFICER RESPONSIBILITIES||Tag No: A0749|
|Based on document review and interview, the hospital failed to follow its policies related to pest control in 52 pest control inspection services reports reviewed and failed to follow its policies for visual inspections in 4 instances of alleged bed bug sightings.
1. Review of hospital policy SPP NO: E.S. - 30, entitled Pest Control, reviewed 10/18/12, indicated areas to be covered WEEKLY -
1. Hospital common areas i.e. the following:
Dietary Storage Areas
Entire Basement Area
Loading Dock Area
Outside Entrances and Doorways
2. Review of 52 pest control inspection services reports for the time period January 1 through December 23 of calendar year 2013, completed, dated and signed by the pest control service company's service technician, indicated none of the reports included all areas serviced, as required by the hospital's policy. All of the reports only included 1-3 of the 10 specified areas.
3. Review of a hospital policy entitled Infection Prevention Policy for Policy for care of Patients with Lice Or Bedbugs, effective April 30, 2013, indicated EVS [Environmental Services] will follow their bedbug protocol [of] visual inspection of the room.
4. Review of a document entitled Pest Control Log, a log used by the hospital to document the date of alleged sightings of insects and rodents, and the date of service conducted by the pest control service tech, indicated, between 1-1-13 and 12-23-13, there were 4 instances of alleged sightings of bed bugs: 4-8-13 - Rehab 211, 4-30-13 - Unit 3 Room 312,
5-3-13 Unit 3 Room 313, and 5-16-13 - Unit 3 326. Further review indicated there was no visual inspection of the area by EVS personnel.
5. Review of 52 Pest Control Inspection Service Reports, completed, dated and signed by the pest control service company's service technician, indicated no documentation of any action taken in response to the alleged sightings, no discussion with hospital personnel regarding the alleged sightings, and no visual inspection of the area by EVS personnel.
6. In interview, on 12-30-13 at 1:30 pm, employee #A2 confirmed the data in the Pest Control Log and the ATLAS PEST CONTROL Pest Control Inspection Service Reports and no further documentation was provided prior to exit.
7. Review of Infection Control Committee meeting minutes in year 2013, dated February 6,
April 10, June 12, August 21, October 9, and December 11, indicated there were no discussions or references to alleged sightings and/or treatment for bedbugs.
8. In interview, on 12-30-13 at 1:45 pm, employee #A3 confirmed there was nothing documented in the Infection Control Committee minutes in year 2013 concerning discussions or references to alleged sightings and/or treatment for bed bugs and no further documentation was provided prior to exit.