|JAVON BEA HOSPITAL||2400 NORTH ROCKTON AVENUE ROCKFORD, IL 61103||March 21, 2018|
|VIOLATION: COMPLIANCE WITH 489.24||Tag No: A2400|
|Based on document review and interview, the Hospital failed to ensure compliance with 42 CFR 489.24.
1. The Hospital failed to ensure the Bylaws and/or Rules and Regulations included who was determined to be qualified to complete a medical screening exam. See deficiency A-2406.
|VIOLATION: MEDICAL SCREENING EXAM||Tag No: A2406|
|Based on document review and interview, it was determined that the Hospital failed to ensure that the Medical Staff Bylaws and Rules and Regulations included the individual(s) deemed qualified to conduct Medical Screening Examinations (MSE) in the Emergency Department (ED). This has the potential to affect an average of 130 patients presenting to the Hospital's ED each day.
1. On 3/19/18 at approximately 2:00 PM, the Hospital's Medical Staff Bylaws and Rules and Regulations (approved 9/22/15) were reviewed and lacked determination of which members of the Medical Staff were qualified to perform and/or delegate the performance of a medical screening exam (MSE).
2. On 3/20/18 at approximately 11:30 AM, the Hospital's policy entitled, "Medical Screening Exam Qualified Examiner" (approved 12/8/15) was reviewed and included, "...The examination must be performed by an individual(s) who is determined qualified by the policies, Bylaws and/or Rules and Regulations..."
3. On 3/20/18 at approximately 11:45 AM, the Hospital's policy entitled, "Delegation of Medical Screening Exam" (approved 6/9/2014) was reviewed and included, "...Emergency Department: The Emergency Department Nurse Practitioner and Physician Assistant are delegated the authority by the Hospital Medical Staff to perform Medical Screening Exams and to provide stabilizing treatment...Obstetrics: The obstetrical registered nursing staff, who have been qualified by virtue of their annual competency and unit requirements as determined on an individual basis by the Chair of the Department of Obstetrics, are delegated by the Hospital Medical Staff the authority to perform Medical Screening Exams..."
4. On 3/19/18 at approximately 2:00 PM, an interview was conducted with the emergency room Medical Director (MD #4). MD #4 stated that Medical Screening Exams in the ED are performed by emergency room Physicians, and the ED does not utilize mid level practitioners. Therefore, every patient seen in the emergency room receives a Medical Screening Exam by an emergency room Physician.
5. On 3/20/18 at approximately 1:30 PM, an interview was conducted with the Vice President of Quality ( E#3). E #3 stated that the Medical Bylaws do not specify who can perform Medical Screening Exam, but the policies do address who can perform the Medical Screening Exam.